Lavabit down ...

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 15:54:43 PDT 2013

> On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 3:45 PM, Kyle Maxwell <kylem at xwell.org> wrote:

...by top posting.

> http://boingboing.net/2013/07/12/so-apparently-edward-snowden.html

>> On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Trigger Happy <triggerhappy at openmail.cc> wrote:
>>
>> what I saw today lavabit.com

>>> quote: lavabit.com
>>>
>>> I cannot share my experiences over the last six weeks

Hushmail is certainly under the same pressure for the same reason.

>>> in crimes against the American people

In addition to the above singular news reference, this plurality seems to
perhaps imply a further prism/verizon like all-data situation as well. Not
an unexpected thing these days.

>>> the first amendment is
>>> supposed to guarantee me the freedom to speak out in situations like
>>> this. Unfortunately, Congress has passed laws that say otherwise.
>>> I have twice made the appropriate requests.

>>> What’s going to happen now? We’ve already started preparing the
>>> paperwork needed to continue to fight for the Constitution in the
>>> Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals. A favorable decision would allow me
>>> resurrect Lavabit as an American company.

The US first amendment... it's time more people started exercising it.
Excepting order of precedence as it may apply to the risk averse, the
permission of appeal, against that which would (or should, if that is
your politic) be struck down, isn't required to do so.

Links:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/first_amendment
http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/first_amendment
http://www.law.cornell.edu/anncon/html/amdt1toc_user.html
https://encrypted.google.com/?q="ladar+levison"

>>> _strongly_ recommend against anyone trusting their private data to a
>>> company with physical ties to the United States.

Remove the ability of services to see the data and this legacy problem
of entrusting cleartext goes away. Maybe at that point everything
becomes just node services for hidden applications.

Mail is a big one. Maintaining interoperation while integrating client side
encryption is a nice goal but fails to hide the @talkers. Whoever comes
up with a fully anonymous, encrypted, defined-persistance p2p strong
replacement that people actually use will get a lot of credit.
Recent news has opened people up such that a good window of adoption
opportunity will exist for a while. Same for storage/block services using
an open client side encryption API.

There's still plenty of room, need, and reason for people to make stands
with traditional mail services too.