[cryptography] a Cypherpunks comeback

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 10:02:11 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 4:16 PM, Adam Back <adam at cypherspace.org> wrote:
> [...] "Its not related to the list,"

it is related to the list in the sense of embracing epithets and
culling the useless.

you've provided this reasoning in measured fashion and various tone
repeatedly; believe me when i say i understand exactly what you are
concerned about and why you consider this unreasonable.

let me be equally clear: cryptography, privacy, and anonymity
discussions under any name and forum are appropriate. to censor the
medium or message out of fear of misunderstanding is akin to never
exercising rights and liberties for fear they may cause scrutiny and
disapproval.

if this is you: so concerned about unwanted attention, that you'll
always consent to a search of your person without resistance, that
you'll always hand over keys to your system or provide access to your
devices and equipment upon mere request, perhaps when crossing
borders, just so you avoid "trouble".

if this is you: what the fuck are you doing on a cypherpunks list?

cypherpunks write code, especially privacy and anonymity code, which
is a much more contentious endeavor than what you are cowed by.  this
is an impasse, where we agree to disagree.

P.S. if you do operate from a truly backward and hostile domain where
such a keyword alone is grounds for harassment then you're likely
already sub'd via remailers and proxies and multi-hops oh my...