Geotemporal Public Key Distribution

Lance Cottrell loki at obscura.com
Tue Aug 27 15:32:47 PDT 2013

OK, so we have some video. If that video was taken from within an app on a mobile device, it may be somewhat tamper resistant.

Some external cameras have GPS, but certainly not all, and any meta-data could be changed before importing.

In terms of location, we have device GPS, cell tower location, nearby WiFi based location, IP address, Internet network topology and timing. Any of those could be spoofed with some effort. Signing content with location information before uploading might bring reputation into the equation, and give some more trust in the information.

I assume your binning concept (100,000 or 2^32) is to give "I was there" without saying "here is exactly how to find and kill me". Is that correct? We might achieve the same by simply rounding Lat Long at some level of granularity.

We could lock down the time of publication to the system using hash chain type structures. The hash, location, time, and document could all be signed by the hashing server. This could be distributed and redundant.

Just some quick thoughts.

--
Lance Cottrell
loki at obscura.com