Geotemporal Public Key Distribution

Rich Jones rich at openwatch.net
Mon Aug 26 17:12:10 PDT 2013

I'm familiar with J3M, but unfortunately none of the current J3M/informacam
techniques actually work, as they have no _external_ verifiability. There
isn't actually any information which ties the media to a place or a time,
it's just information encoded into data which could be applied to any
document at any time. By factoring the network, a geotemporal pkey system
would address this problem. J3M is good for tying information to a specific
device (sort of) - but not to a place or a time.

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 4:58 PM, Lee Azzarello <lee at guardianproject.info>wrote:

> Informacam
>
> "InformaCam is a mobile application for Android that enables users to
> inflate image and video with extra points of data, or metadata. The
> metadata includes information like the user’s current GPS coordinates,
> altitude, compass bearing, light meter readings, the signatures of
> neighboring devices, cell towers, and wifi networks; and serves to
> shed light on the exact circumstances and contexts under which the
> digital image was taken. With InformaCam the app starts to behave
> almost like Adobe Photoshop or GIMP, supporting non-destructive,
> layer-based edits to media built on top of Obscuracam."
>
> https://guardianproject.info/apps/informacam/
>
> There is a sub-project to standardize metadata called j3m.
> http://j3m.info/
>
> -lee
>
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 7:08 PM, Rich Jones <rich at openwatch.net> wrote:
> > This is a small, unfinished idea I had, but I'd be interested in hearing
> any
> > feedback anybody here might have to offer. Normally we talk about
> > cryptography to secure communications, but this is an idea rather about
> > verifying the authenticity of media.
> >
> > [Quick backround: OpenWatch is a global citizen media network using
> mobile
> > phones as the basis for a free worldwide press. We care very much about
> the
> > authenticity of citizen media, and have designed some systems which
> attempt
> > to improve the verifiability of citizen media.]
> >
> > The problem is that sometimes media artifacts are presented as a record
> of a
> > current event, when in fact they from different events. An example of
> this
> > was when images of a marathon race in Istanbul were presented as images
> of
> > the recent Occupy Gezi protests.
> >
> > Now, imagine the globe divided into a grid coordinate system, say 100,000
> > units (or perhaps 232, if IP rather than physical address is to be used).
> > Based on their physical location, reporters can contact a server and are
> > assigned a key with which to sign or encrypt their media to. This then
> ties
> > a media object to a physical space. This can be further improved to
> include
> > both time and space by dividing a space-day into a number of units,
> suppose
> > 1440, such that different keys would be handed out at different times of
> the
> > day, thus further tying a document to a moment in time as well.
> >
> > Does anybody know if any systems like this have ever been discussed or
> > designed in the past? I suppose this is somewhat similar to the
> RSA-keyfob
> > system, although this allows for anonymous access without
> pre-arrangement as
> > well.

Rich Jones
*
OpenWatch* is a global investigative network using mobile technology to
build a more transparent world. Download OpenWatch for
iOS<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/openwatch-social-muckraking/id642680756?ls=1&mt=8>and
for
Android<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.ale.openwatch&hl=en>
!