Re: [liberationtech] Why can’t email be secure? - Silent Circle Blog

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 13:21:32 PDT 2013

On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 11:59 AM, katana <katana at riseup.net> wrote:
> ... as Ladar replied in
> <http://www.democracynow.org/2013/8/13/exclusive_owner_of_snowdens_email_service>
> to Amy's question 'Do you think people should use email?': 'Yeah, I
> think it’s a great way to communicate ... And I think email still has a
> very important role to play in communication between people.' ACK.

it is a question of private vs. public communication.

email is and will continue to be useful for public communication. this
gmail account indexes 190+ lists, 10,000 news alerts from scores of
filters (everything from "TS//SI//NF" to "Flame OR Gauss OR Duqu OR
Stuxnet" to Goldreich–Goldwasser–Halevi), a total of 643,132 pieces of
communication. i can search through all of it in seconds and apply new
filters to existing content just as easily as new, and keep an offline
backup just in case.

but there is zero i would consider private; for that use a medium of
communication that is not a usability failure, that is not a metadata
leakage nightmare, that is not an operational security mine field.

let email _for private communication_ die already, please!