[cryptography] urandom vs random

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Aug 25 02:19:09 PDT 2013

----- Forwarded message from Peter Gutmann <pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz> -----

Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 23:05:50 +1200
From: Peter Gutmann <pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz>
To: cryptography at randombit.net
Subject: Re: [cryptography] urandom vs random

Just appeared on the GnuPG list:

NeuG 0.11 was released.  NeuG is an implementation of True Random
Number Generator based on quantization error of ADC of STM32F103.

It is basically intended to be used as a part of Gnuk, but we also
have standalone USB CDC-ACM version (you can get random stream from
/dev/ttyACM0).  Standalone version is useful to feed entropy to
/dev/random on GNU/Linux.  Its generation speed is >= 50kB/sec, and
it's more when connected to USB 2.0 Hub.

The output is tested NIST STS 2.1.1 and Dieharder 3.31.1.

Highlights are:

* Replacement of kernel (thread library)

  Instead of ChibiOS/RT, we now use Chopstx.

* Improved performance

  The output of random numbers got faster than the previous
  implementation by 30% or so.

* Unsupported targets

  CQ_STARM, STBEE, STBEE Mini, and STM32_PRIMER2 are not
  supported in this release, but porting should be easy.

Here are some links for NeuG, Gnuk and FST-01 (the hardware).

NeuG (under Gnuk Repository):
    http://gitorious.org/gnuk/neug

Gnuk News:
    http://www.fsij.org/gnuk/

FST-01 introduction:
    http://www.seeedstudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=FST-01

FST-01 Q&A site:
    http://no-passwd.net/askbot/questions/

Japanese Documentation for FST-01 and Gnuk Token:
    http://no-passwd.net/fst-01-gnuk-handbook/index.html

Enjoy,

----- End forwarded message -----