Google to encrypt cloud storage

Moon Jones mjones at pencil.allmail.net
Tue Aug 20 15:21:49 PDT 2013

On 19.08.2013 23:20, grarpamp wrote:
> With the same dev money Google could be funding open source projects
> like tahoelafs, p2p messaging, etc that put the keys in the hands of the user
> for easy use. Yet no, they compete against them. They're a business, they've
> become and catered to more corporate/gov base, that's normal, write around
> them and claim the user base.

Yet they not only support SMTP and IMAP4, but they give instructions on
how to set up Mozilla Thunderbird. They use XMPP and they allow
connections from outside their network. In most ways they are way ahead
of the competition. To me it sounds pretty much like the GNU/Linux
kernel development: make your project popular enough and conform to our
coding structure and we're going to include it in the main tree. Fail to
do so and you are free to develop patches and loadable modules.