Avaaz in "grave danger" due to GMail spam filters

Moon Jones mjones at pencil.allmail.net
Tue Aug 20 14:08:15 PDT 2013

On 20.08.2013 15:32, rysiek wrote:
> Dnia wtorek, 20 sierpnia 2013 14:18:42 Moon Jones pisze:
>> On 18.08.2013 23:48, rysiek wrote:
>>> I facepalmed so hard I could cry. It's Stockholm Syndrome if I
>>> ever saw one. "GMail fucks us in the arse, so let's ask them
>>> politely to use some lubricant".
>>
>> HOW does «GMail fucks us in the arse»? Please expand.
>
> By introducing policies that are disruptive to legitimate activities.
> Why they are disruptive? Because GMail is being used by a huge part
> of e-mail users.

What do you mean by «legitimate»? And second what do you mean by
«legitimate activities»?

> I am not assuming malice on Google's part, at least not in this
> particular context. [...]

My bad. For me English is a second language. But «fucks us in the arse»
implies a deliberate act. I see your domain is from Poland, which is
quite a backward country when it comes to anything people do, yet a pope
disaproves. Meaning anal sex, heterosexual, homosexual or plain
masturbation is a very very bad thing to do. I might be wrong, but in
this context «GMail fucks us in the arse» implies at least malice. Yet
now you write «I am not assuming malice on Google's part». Help me
understand.

> Had such a centralisation not occured, there would be no serious
> problem. One of the providers introduces such policies? Fine,
> whatever, they have a few percent of users at the most, we can live
> with that. And users can switch, no problemo.

How can anybody draw the line? It's fine as long as they are under an
arbitrary value set by WHOM, but it's wrong after that?

> However, with GMail having such a huge slice of the pie, they can
> literally make or break organisations like Avaaz.

Than they should break Avaaz.

If one company depends so much on another, than you can call the first
one a parasyte. If it's existence depends on Google, than they should
ask nicely and maybe forward a nice sum of money. Or they have quite
some nerve to try to impose rules from the position of parasyte.

Hopefuly for you their niche might be filled afterwards by a company
that can stand on its own.

> And the right way to deal with that is at least telling the users
> "look, the problem is related to centralisation, considering moving
> to a different mail provider would be a good idea".

Don't you think that is for the people to decide?

> Instead, what we get is "please, dear users, play according to rules
> set by this behemoth that can do with e-mail whatever the hell it
> wants". Hence my (overly ribald for some, as it turns out) metaphor.

Because they way you expressed it, as I have no idea what Avaaz is or
does, they are a puny corporation living from Google's leftovers.
Meaning Google does a good thing for their users.