Avaaz in "grave danger" due to GMail spam filters

rysiek rysiek at hackerspace.pl
Tue Aug 20 06:32:35 PDT 2013

Dnia wtorek, 20 sierpnia 2013 14:18:42 Moon Jones pisze:
> On 18.08.2013 23:48, rysiek wrote:
> > I facepalmed so hard I could cry. It's Stockholm Syndrome if I ever saw
> > one. "GMail fucks us in the arse, so let's ask them politely to use some
> > lubricant".
>
> HOW does «GMail fucks us in the arse»? Please expand.

By introducing policies that are disruptive to legitimate activities. Why they
are disruptive? Because GMail is being used by a huge part of e-mail users.

I am not assuming malice on Google's part, at least not in this particular
context. But the real problem here is not that the policy is being introduced,
it's that of centralisation and overly broad de facto control Google has over
(in this case) e-mail communication.

Had such a centralisation not occured, there would be no serious problem. One
of the providers introduces such policies? Fine, whatever, they have a few
percent of users at the most, we can live with that. And users can switch, no
problemo.

However, with GMail having such a huge slice of the pie, they can literally
make or break organisations like Avaaz.

And the right way to deal with that is at least telling the users "look, the
problem is related to centralisation, considering moving to a different mail
provider would be a good idea".

Instead, what we get is "please, dear users, play according to rules set by
this behemoth that can do with e-mail whatever the hell it wants". Hence my
(overly ribald for some, as it turns out) metaphor.

--
Pozdr
rysiek