Is the Wikileaks Party a cypherpunk party?

rysiek rysiek at hackerspace.pl
Mon Aug 19 03:15:24 PDT 2013

Dnia sobota, 17 sierpnia 2013 08:33:11 J.A. Terranson pisze:
> On Sat, 17 Aug 2013, CryptoFreak wrote:
> > There's definately a chance it could become corrupt.
>
> A *chance*?  It's *already corrupt by definition: do you undeerstand what
> is required to organize and run a political (read: Organized Crime) party?
>
> > But I think the big difference between the Wikileaks Party and other,
> > more traditional parties, is that the WLP is focused on more than just
> > grabbing power. The whole organization is about speaking truth to power,
> > destroying secrets, informing the populace, and holding those in power
> > accountable. That a little different than most others.
>
> Where have I heard that before I wonder?  Whigs? Republicans? Democrats
> (Obama as recently as 2008 even)?

This. Pirate Party anyone? Granted, the PP does have some great, active,
ideologically pure chapters (Iceland, Sweden to large extent). But looking ta
the Pirate Party in Poland -- there is no hope.

What this all boils down to is this:
Party/logo stays, people change.

If we start trusting the WikiLeaks party, or the Pirate Party, or any other
centralised entity, inevitably at some point people that created these and
might have even had their hearts and minds in the right place -- will go away,
others will come in and take over. That's a natural process.

Problem is, political processes tend to reward those able to compromise (in
both senses), those able to lie, cheat and deceive. And this is what we will
get at some point in the future, we can be certain of that.

So once we start putting too much trust and hope in a logo (WikiLeaks party;
Pirate Party), we're in for some serious disappointment.

> > Of course that could all be hyperbole just like Obama's promises of change
> > but we don't know yet.  While I agree that a cryptoanarchist poses a
> > bigger threat to the power structure than a political party does, could
> > this not be a good forward step?
>
> It *could*. But I doubt it.

Only if it would indeed be created in a way that ensures that it will be
disruptive and will not become a career party like the others. This would
require clear set of *achievable* goals, and a time limit written-in into the
statute.

Something along the lines of:
http://rys.io/en/78
http://rys.io/en/80

Both texts are a bit naive, I grant you that, since I hadn't had enough time
to work on them yet.

--
Pozdr
rysiek