Avaaz in "grave danger" due to GMail spam filters

staticsafe me at staticsafe.ca
Mon Aug 19 02:36:43 PDT 2013

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 11:48:58PM +0200, rysiek wrote:
> OHAI,
>
> I happen to be on Avaaz's info distribution list, and I got an e-mail lately
> that Avaaz is in "grave danger" as GMail will now filter mailings like that
> out to a separate folder for similar spam-ish (yet not spam per se) mailings.
>
> So what they're asking people to do is to reply directly to that e-mail, so
> that GMail will note that Avaaz's mailings are not to be messed around with.
>
> Instead of telling people, you know, to decentralise and use other, smaller
> providers.
>
> I facepalmed so hard I could cry. It's Stockholm Syndrome if I ever saw one.
> "GMail fucks us in the arse, so let's ask them politely to use some
> lubricant".
>
> My question is: does *anybody* on this list have some kind of contact within
> Avaaz? I'd *love* to talk to them about it. It's simply disingenuous to do
> such a campaign and *not* at least signal "oh and by the way, had we all been
> still using different, dispersed, decentralised e-mail services we wouldn't
> get even close to having this problem".
>
> --
> Pozdr
> rysiek

Gmail's new e-mail sorting system divides mail into three categories by
default - "primary", "social", and "promotions". The user can train the
filter by dragging and dropping and by creating new categories.

A quick look at avaaz.org's SPF record shows that they are using
Sendgrid, I doubt they will be having difficulties with deliverability.
--
staticsafe
Please don't top post.