Freedom Hosting Owner Arrested, Tormail Compromised, Malicious JS Discovered

CryptoFreak cryptofreak at cpunk.us
Sun Aug 11 22:24:34 PDT 2013

On Aug 11, 2013, at 6:44 PM, rysiek <rysiek at hackerspace.pl> wrote:

> Dnia niedziela, 4 sierpnia 2013 14:12:53 Rich Jones pisze:
>> https://openwatch.net/i/200/anonymous-web-host-freedom-hosting-owner-arreste
>
> Well, dang.
>
> Also:
>
> "We have analyzed the security properties of Tor hidden
> services and shown that attacks to deanonymize hidden
> services at a large scale are practically possible with only
> a moderate amount of resources. We have demonstrated
> that collecting the descriptors of all Tor hidden services is
> possible in approximately 2 days by spending less than USD
> 100 in Amazon EC2 resources. Running one or more guard
> nodes then allows an attacker to correlate hidden services
> to IP addresses using a primitive traffic analysis attack.
> Furthermore, we have shown that attackers can impact the
> availability and sample the popularity of arbitrary hidden
> services not under their control by selectively becoming their
> hidden service directories."
>
> http://www.ieee-security.org/TC/SP2013/papers/4977a080.pdf
>
> This is even more troubling, as apparently does not require any
> exploits.

While I'm certainly not saying "I don't buy it", how does this
reconcile with the reality of The Silk Road still being in existance.
One would think that governments would use these techniques against
the site if for nothing more than to catch/punish them for all the tax
evasion going on.

If this paper is true, the only reason I could think of why TSR is
still alive is because it is some kind of government front, though
there is no evidence of that at all.

CryptoFreak