Lavabit and End-point Security

Lodewijk andré de la porte l at odewijk.nl
Sat Aug 10 03:42:16 PDT 2013

2013/8/9 Sean Alexandre <sean at alexan.org>

> Or, maybe it was cover-up, to get the information "legally." But I'm
> guessing
> they really couldn't get what they wanted.

This. They don't want to show people what power they have. So they use the
"most public method", letters. They are very, very, very aware of what you
might guess. You have to remember they could legally prevent him from
saying he even received letters, they have done so in the past.

Why haven't they now? Might it have to do with you assumptions? Or is it as
innocent as genuinely not wanting to cause more harm than needed?

Do you think the NSA is innocent?