[cryptography] a Cypherpunks comeback

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 20:35:13 PDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 5:20 PM, Adam Back <adam at cypherspace.org> wrote:
> ... which would you rather fight: defense of spurious
> attention arising from a stupid domain name, or I dunno operating a
> remailer, a tor exit node, a hidden tor server.

why the false dichotomy? do them both!

> ...  If he
> was prominently using al-qaeda.net you can be sure they'd have spun that
> into the story.

i also hear he was also a ginger lacking a soul...

> There is some history also - recall Jim Bell, he got in some fight over
> taxes or something stupid,... it
> was a political discussion which he thought had some merit vs a losers game
> of tax protestation ending in jail time, anyone can see thats never going to
> work out.

are you stating that "So, say goodnight to Joshua ..." in the context
of a perceived threat against an individuals family is on the same
level of offense as a domain name? really?

> I wouldnt be so sure that using stupid domain names is entirely safe in the
> US, europe etc.  IMO the US is past its peak in terms of a place of freedom
> and others have overtaken it.

all the more reason to resist self censorship and cowardice!

> Not sure how you recover freedoms from a panopticon state with a one dollar
> one vote and a 100 billion dollar+ military-spy-industrial complex and a
> significantly biased politicial- judicial system.

now _this_ is a discussion worthy of the list. and there are lots of ideas :P

> You care about crypto deployment, so
> I dont see the logic in picking the most stupid, unrelated and controversial
> domain name you can think of hitting as many peoples distaste as you can and
> use that?

"embracing epithets and culling the useless."

>  wtf back at you :)

i am indefensible and unreasonable; let's keep me out of this!

> I guess we should go write some code!

agreed;
  on that note a few resources and projects to make this tirade not
entirely useless:

"Selected Papers in Anonymity"
http://freehaven.net/anonbib/author.html
 [why does this not have an HTTPS URL?]

"Bibliography - GNU's Framework for Secure Peer-to-Peer Networking"
https://gnunet.org/bibliography?s=author&o=asc

"pentest-bookmarks"
https://code.google.com/p/pentest-bookmarks/wiki/BookmarksList

"Project Byzantium"
http://project-byzantium.org/faqs/
 [why does this not have an HTTPS URL?]

"Dust: A Censorship-Resistant Internet Transport Protocol"
https://github.com/blanu/Dust

"The Anykernel and Rump Kernels"
https://www.netbsd.org/docs/rump/