[cryptography] a Cypherpunks comeback

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Wed Aug 7 17:20:32 PDT 2013

OK let me put it this way, given each person only has so many hours in the
day, or so much energy and resources for politically-fighting or
write-code-fighting things which would you rather fight: defense of spurious
attention arising from a stupid domain name, or I dunno operating a
remailer, a tor exit node, a hidden tor server.

Apparently operating a hidden tor server as a service is pretty high risk as
the guy in Ireland is finding.  You can see in that they are trying to pin
the content on him, as if he authored it, whereas I am presuming he is no
more responsible for the content than a hosting company or youtube.  If he
was prominently using al-qaeda.net you can be sure they'd have spun that
into the story.

There is some history also - recall Jim Bell, he got in some fight over
taxes or something stupid, that took him out of the picture for a while.  I
wasnt really sold on his assassination politics idea anyway (gotta be a way
to vote someone out of office without assasinating them!), but at least it
was a political discussion which he thought had some merit vs a losers game
of tax protestation ending in jail time, anyone can see thats never going to
work out.

I wouldnt be so sure that using stupid domain names is entirely safe in the
US, europe etc.  IMO the US is past its peak in terms of a place of freedom
and others have overtaken it.  It doesnt seem likely the US will recover its
ranking, seems to be falling year on year.  Probably China itself will
overtake US economically, politically and for freedoms within 50-100 years.
Not sure how you recover freedoms from a panopticon state with a one dollar
one vote and a 100 billion dollar+ military-spy-industrial complex and a
significantly biased politicial- judicial system.  If you watch RT which
airs a lot of the snowden thing, the stuff the USG is saying about snowden
is just ludicrous.  Pressuring european countries to deny overflight to a
presidents plane is an alarming breach of international law and shows how
far the US rogue state influence goes in seemingly other countries willing
to go along with its actions.

Also why would you even want to do it?  You care about crypto deployment, so
I dont see the logic in picking the most stupid, unrelated and controversial
domain name you can think of hitting as many peoples distaste as you can and
use that?  wtf back at you :)  cypherpunks at child-porn-r-us.com?  what next.

I guess we should go write some code!

Adam