[cryptography] Paillier Crypto for homomorphic computation

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Wed Aug 7 02:05:42 PDT 2013

No recall that the simplified paillier is c=g^m*r^n mod n^2 so
multiplication gives addition:

g^a*r1^n * g^b*r2^n = g^{a+b}*(r1*r2)^n

ie multiplication of ciphertexts gives you homomorphic addition of
plaintexts.

but g^a*r1^n ^ (g^b*r2^n) != g^{a*b}*r3^n

(the core part is g^a ^ (g^b) = g^{a*g^b} != g^{a*b}).

what does work is as I said raising to the power of a constant eg k:

(g^m*r^n)^k = g^{k*m}*(r^k)^n so you can still decrypt and the
operation is multiply by constant k).

Adam