[cryptography] a Cypherpunks comeback

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Tue Aug 6 16:16:37 PDT 2013

Cypherpunks and privacy tech had enough on their plate post 9-11 without
inexplicably using an Al-Qaeda related domain name presumably chosen by
someone's amusement at being controversial.  Its not related to the list,
and it just invites spurious trouble.  Why not the ownder of the domain use
it as his personal address.  Heck he can use the user name osama@ the domain
if he wants.  I have to say I see no upside whatsoever to using that domain
name for a mailing list on any topic.

You only have to look at various court cases to see how everything gets
heavily misinterpreted and nothing spun into something to pause and see why
using such a domain name is a "bad idea" tm.

I appreciate the "fearless crypto coder" mentality, but focus on the crypto,
not inviting stupid fights with authoritarian systems over non-topics eh.

Adam