hardened *nix for Lenovo X60

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Mon Aug 26 08:09:32 PDT 2013

I've managed to lay my hands onb a couple of Lenovo X60's that are
in pretty good shape and would like to use them as a moderately secure
communication/development system. (I'm not trusting my desktops,
servers or mobile devices for obvious reasons). I'm loath to modify
the hardware at this point, so I expect to only flash coreboot
upon it.

What kind of security-minded Linux or *BSD would you guys
recommend? Liberte looks a bit too stable (cough, sorry Максим)),
Kali is more for security h4x0rs. Anything else what is well-maintained
yet borderline secure from *untargeted* TLA-level scrutiny?

I'm okay with text-mostly distros, or minimalistic window
managers. It shouldn't be a kitchensink of stuff I don't need,
but on the other hand it's shouldn't be so secure it's
unusable, either.

Pointers to any HOWTOs or SOPs highly welcome. Tanks & machine guns.