Lavabit and End-point Security

Sean Alexandre sean@alexan.org
Fri Aug 9 07:43:10 PDT 2013

I find some comfort in the fact that they had to serve papers to Lavabit to get
the information they wanted. To me this says Lavabit's security was so good they
couldn't back door his machines.

Or, maybe it was cover-up, to get the information "legally." But I'm guessing
they really couldn't get what they wanted.

I'd love to see some kind of write-up by Ladar about how he did this...maybe
even a book.

I expect he was just doing all the standard things any sys-admin should be
doing. It would be great to see it all written down in one place, though, as
a case study with details.

Even better: Edward Swowden as a co-author.