CDR: Re: Internet Hoax Articles Considered Harmful=20

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Tue Dec 10 11:45:29 PST 2019

On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 11:54:50PM -0700, Tim May wrote:
> PHILADELPHIA, Pennyslvania (AP) - Homeland Defense Secretary Tom Ridge =

> said Sunday that the U.S. faces a serious and expanding threat from=20
> fraudulent Internet articles, or hoaxes.

Almost. The most obvious sign that this is a hoax is your inclusion
of the state in the dateline. For major cities, it's usually not =
included.

-Declan
------------------
I knew it was a hoax because I read the original article, which read:
Ridge stressed that the U.S moves to limit false news articles will be=20
done with input from civil liberties groups, saying the moves are=20
``against info-terrorists, info-terrorism, their sanctuaries and their=20
supporters, those who harbor them, those who give sanctuary to those=20
who harbor them, those who support those who give sanctuary to those
who harbor them, those who associate with those who give them support,
sanctuary, or harbor them, those we suspect of being associated with=20
those who are associated with those who give them support, sanctuary,
or harbor them, those who are suspected of voting for the rulers of any
country which has given them support, sanctuary, or harbored them,
those who may associate in the future with someone who might consider
giving them support, sanctuary, or harboring them...''

I cut it short, because the original is 378 GB...
Suffice it to say that the ParaMeters for who is TargetAble as a =
Certified BadGuy=20
has recently gotten Wider...and can be expected to MushRoom(BOOM!) at an
expoential rate in the near future, now that THEY [TM] have seen the =
Ease with
which THEY [TM] can SMEAR just about anyone THEY [TM] please by=20
Painting a Wider Swath via GuiltByAssociation...
(Can eWe Say "I Only Sent A Single eMail To Jim Bell In My Whole Life?")
((Sure, eWe Can...))

Sincerely,
SomeOne Who Didn't Actually *Write* This eMail,
But Who Knows An Uncle Of The Person Who Did

------=_NextPart_000_0077_01C14FD9.C2F024A0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff><FONT face=3DArial>
<DIV><EM>Subject</EM>: CDR: Re: Internet Hoax Articles Considered =
Harmful </DIV>
<DIV><EM>From</EM>: Declan McCullagh <<A=20
href=3D"mailto:declan at well.com">declan at well.com</A>> =
</DIV><!--X-Head-Body-Sep-End--><!--X-Body-of-Message--><PRE>On Sun, Oct =
07, 2001 at 11:54:50PM -0700, Tim May wrote:
> PHILADELPHIA, Pennyslvania (AP) - Homeland Defense Secretary Tom =
Ridge=20
> said Sunday that the U.S. faces a serious and expanding threat from =

> fraudulent Internet articles, or hoaxes.

Almost. The most obvious sign that this is a hoax is your inclusion
of the state in the dateline. For major cities, it's usually not =
included.

-Declan
------------------</PRE><PRE>I knew it was a hoax because I read the =
original article, which read:</PRE>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Ridge stressed that the U.S moves to limit false =
news articles=20
will be <BR>done with input from civil liberties groups, saying the =
moves are=20
<BR>``against info-terrorists, info-terrorism, their sanctuaries and =
their=20
<BR>supporters, those who harbor them, those who give sanctuary to those =

</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>who harbor them, those who support those who give =
sanctuary to=20
those</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>who harbor them, those who associate with those who =
give them=20
support,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>sanctuary, or harbor them, those we suspect of being =

associated with </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>those who are associated with those who give them =
support,=20
sanctuary,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>or harbor them, those who are suspected of voting =
for the=20
rulers of any</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>country which has given them support, sanctuary, or =
harbored=20
them,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>those who may associate in the future with someone =
who might=20
consider</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>giving them support, sanctuary, or harboring=20
them...''</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I cut it short, because the original is 378 =
GB...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Suffice it to say that the ParaMeters for who is =
TargetAble as=20
a Certified BadGuy </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>has </FONT><FONT size=3D2>recently gotten =
Wider...and can be=20
expected to MushRoom(BOOM!) at an</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>expoential rate in the near future, now that THEY =
[TM] have=20
seen the Ease with</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>which THEY [TM] can SMEAR just about anyone THEY =
[TM] please=20
by </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Painting a Wider Swath via =
GuiltByAssociation...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>(Can eWe Say "I Only Sent A Single eMail To Jim Bell =
In My=20
Whole Life?")</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>((Sure, eWe Can...))</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Sincerely,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>SomeOne Who Didn't Actually *Write* This =
eMail,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>But Who Knows An Uncle Of The Person Who =
Did</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><BR> </DIV></FONT></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0077_01C14FD9.C2F024A0--