request for assistance for debate on encryption with former

Peter Swire peter at peterswire.net
Tue Dec 10 11:45:29 PST 2019

FBI General Counsel

Hello Dave:

On Monday, November 17 the New America Foundation will be hosting a
debate on the topic of FBI Director Comey’s criticisms of Apple and
Google for the encryption changes to their phones.  The moderator will
be Nancy Libin, formerly of both CDT and the Department of Justice.

Former FBI General Counsel Andrew Weissmann will be presenting the
Comey side of the argument. Andrew is an experienced litigator, former
head of the Enron Task Force and other major prosecutions.  I was in
school years ago with Andrew, and the debate will be on the merits but
not personal.  With that said, only the best arguments will work.

With that in mind, I was wondering if readers of your list might send
(off-list) resources to prepare for the debate?  Many people, in
diverse outlets, have been writing about these topics.  Although I am
currently in the midst of hiring a full-time researcher, I don’t have
that help at the moment.

If useful, I could circulate a bibliography once the debate happens.

For those in DC, the debate will be 4:00 to 5:30 p.m.  at New America,
address 1899 L St. NW #400.  it will be webcast, and may be on C-Span.

Thanks,

Peter