No subject

Asymmetric all at biosys.net
Tue Dec 10 11:45:29 PST 2019

> The D/H is going to be used just to generate a key to securely transfer a
> 4096 bit key for use in symmetrical crypto routines later in the program,

You want to use a 4096-bit key for SYMMETRICAL crypto? Hello? Not only I
don't know of ANY symmetrical algorithm with such a key, but why on Earth
would you need it for? What attack do you know against a 128-bit or even
256-bit key that doesn't work against a 4096-bit one?

> for actual encryption of the chat/voice/file data transfers.  Using 1024
> bits of D/H is fine to generate a key-encryption key to just transfer the
> 4096bit key.  I chose 4096 because it's large enough to be used in any
> symmetric crypto algorithm to max out it's key length.

What symmetric crypto algorithm is that?

> >The bigger risk, though, is the quality of random numbers available
> >for seeding your DH keys.  Don't even DREAM of using Delphi's builtins,
> >if it has them - go find good crypto-quality-randomness work to reuse,
> >unless you know you'll only run on Linux where there's /dev/random.
> >At least use sound-card noise or user-entered mouse tracks to help.
> >Lots of "secure" systems have been cracked by cracking their random
seeds.

> Of course. ;)

Did I mention that I wrote a Yarrow implementation in Delphi? <g> It passes
DIEHARD, but it hasn't been otherwise checked. [Public domain, btw.]

> First, It's GPL'd, or under a modified version of the GPL.  I find the GPL
> to be distasteful and it forms a barrier more than a bridge to continued
> software development.

I like this guy :) [All my code is public domain, but I hate the GPL for
*forcing* people to share. Communism at its best.]

Mark