Colossus in action

David Hansen davidh at spidacom.co.uk
Tue Dec 10 11:45:29 PST 2019

Just in case anyone is as ill informed as me, I was delighted to read
at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7094881.stm that the rebuilt
Colossus is or is about to be used on a message enciphered on a Lorenz
machine and transmitted from Germany.

Following the links from that page I see that the message will be
"intercepted" using the radio equipment of the time before the Colossus
tries to work out the settings. There will be  parallel effort with
modern radio equipment and computers. It should be an interesting race.

I admire those who had the enthusiasm to rebuild the machine and who
had the contacts to get hold of the plans and notes that remained. The
last time I took a particular interest in the project, some years ago,
they were trying to find the right sort of valve and had just completed
the framework for hurtling paper tape round and round.

- --
  David Hansen, Edinburgh
 I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents
me

------- Message 2