More on "new physics"

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Tue Dec 10 11:45:29 PST 2019

On Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 10:40:40AM -0700, Tim May wrote:
> stuff about zero point energy and perpetual motion machines. And,
> sometimes, mixed together with the usual nutcase stuff about the Hollow
> Earth theory (zeta reticulans colonizing the hollow earth, Greys,
> underground UFO bases, secret Nazi weapons, etc.).

Righto. It's a staple of the UFO fringe. See:

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,43526,00.html
>A briefing book the group handed out to reporters says mankind must
>learn the truth about UFOs and switch to free energy and beam cars
>before it's too late.

And then there was this, which I wrote 2.5 years ago. Some folks,
including I believe Tim, said at the time that I was being too
uncritical, and looking back, they was right. It's a little painful to
read; at the very least I should have reversed the order of the
article.

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/1,1282,19446,00.html
>Much of the audience, though, is undeterred. They gather around the
>stinking, wheezing mower and stare at it as if it were an alien
>artifact recently recovered from Area 51. They are the perpetually
>hopeful, the uncritical -- the groupies of the future energy movement.

-Declan