Material Support to Al-Qaeda

Ted Smith tedks at riseup.net
Mon Mar 25 14:09:14 PDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-03-25 at 21:48 +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 04:21:26PM -0400, John Young wrote:

http://warincontext.org/2013/03/25/mcchrystal-americas-drone-war-risks-provok
ing-another-attack-on-new-york-city/

> > Ex-General Stanley McChrystal:
> >
> > And although to the United States, a drone strike seems to have very
> > little risk and very little pain, at the receiving end, it feels like
> > war. Americans have got to understand that. If we were to use our
> > technological capabilities carelessly -- I don't think we do, but
> > there's always the danger that you will -- then we should not be upset
> > when someone responds with their equivalent, which is a suicide bomb in
> > Central Park, because that's what they can respond with.
>
> Their equivalent would be a 20 kT nuclear device in a Manhattan
> penthouse. If Theodore B. Taylor would be alive today, I think he
> would agree that today a thermonuclear device is no longer out
> of reach for small groups.

I can't remember where, but I saw a review paper claiming this was
impossible because individuals with the intelligence to construct a
nuclear device tend not to join terror groups.

--
Sent from Ubuntu