[liberationtech] Microsoft Releases 2012 Law Enforcement Requests Report

James Losey losey at newamerica.net
Thu Mar 21 07:04:55 PDT 2013

>From the blog post:

"As noted in the data table (available in the PDF below) in 2012, Microsoft
and Skype received a total of 75,378 law enforcement requests. Those
requests potentially impacted 137,424 accounts. While it is not possible to
directly compare the number of requests to the number of users affected, it
is likely that less than 0.02% of active users were affected. The data
shows that, after a careful review of each request by our compliance teams,
18% of law enforcement requests to Microsoft resulted in the disclosure of
no customer data. Approximately 79.8% of requests to Microsoft resulted in
the disclosure of only non-content information, and only a small number of
law enforcement requests (2.2%) resulted in the disclosure of customer
content. To further explain the data, we have included Frequently Asked
Questions and Answers below."

Report page:
http://www.microsoft.com/about/corporatecitizenship/en-us/reporting/transparency/
Blog post:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_on_the_issues/archive/2013/03/21/microsoft-releases-2012-law-enforcement-requests-report.aspx
PDF:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/3/8/F38AF681-EB3A-4645-A9C4-D4F31B8BA8F2/MSFT_Reporting_Data.pdf
NY Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/22/technology/microsoft-releases-report-on-law-enforcement-requests.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

--
Too many emails? Unsubscribe, change to digest, or change password by emailing moderator at companys at stanford.edu or changing your settings at https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/liberationtech

----- End forwarded message -----