[liberationtech] skype & CALEA

Eric S Johnson crates at oneotaslopes.org
Fri Mar 15 01:27:36 PDT 2013

The Russian newspaper Vedomosti reported yesterday (link below) that Russian
experts believe Microsoft built lawful intercept capability into Skype over
a year ago and has shared that capability with Russian LEAs; supposedly, the
capability allows a user's Skype to be remotely triggered to establish its
end-to-end encryption with a Skype server (which can then intercept) rather
than with "the other end." The Russian blogosphere is chattering away about
it, with some saying "but of course" and others saying "doubt it."

If not a smoking gun, it might be a whiff of gunpowder, although the same
article says "and earlier this week it became known that the Chinese version
of Skype has a special mechanism for surveilling users"-something we've
known (thanks to CitLab et al.) for years, so I'm not sure we should
consider this writer likely to be contributing something substantially new.

               Microsoft today said "not true."

http://www.vedomosti.ru/politics/news/10030771/skype_proslushivayut

Best,

Eric

PGP
<http://keyserver.pgp.com/vkd/DownloadKey.event?keyid=0xE0F58E0F1AF7E6F2>

--
Too many emails? Unsubscribe, change to digest, or change password by emailing moderator at companys at stanford.edu or changing your settings at https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/liberationtech

----- End forwarded message -----