Summary of where we are right now

Ted Smith tedks at riseup.net
Thu Mar 7 19:00:20 PST 2013

On Thu, 2013-03-07 at 21:28 -0500, Tyler Durden wrote:
> No, we didn't win yet: TOR is a honeypot. That's right, motherfucker:
> You
> do know who really gave TOR its initial impetus, right? And you know
> why they
> did that? They did it precisely because it was too obvious and too
> expensive
> to pull EVERYTHING back to Virginia or wherever.

It seems pretty clear that this is in fact not why the Navy funded Tor.

Virtually all science in the US is funded by the military in some form.
The stuff that isn't funded by the military is funded by the NSA, and
the stuff that isn't funded by either is funded by the NSF (which is
probably just a front group for the military; or at least functionally
is, as is most of the American government).

Saying "look, this thing was funded by the military" is just not useful.
By that metric, virtually all computer science is a hidden backdoor. You
have to be more specific.

--
Sent from Ubuntu