[liberationtech] Can HAM radio be used for communication between health workers in rural areas with no cell connectivity?

Sky (Jim Schuyler) sky at cyberspark.net
Thu Mar 7 10:31:19 PST 2013

Nice, Erich.

In a sense, radio waves are the -ultimate- in liberation, crossing national boundaries in (single or multiple) bounds. That may be a subrosa reason governments fight so hard to control them. That is clearly why some shortwave broadcasts are jammed. It's why the amateur service was cut off during WWII. That's also my conclusion about why amateurs are not allowed to use codes and ciphers (speaking of US here). And many amateurs are so blasted conservative politically, but I don't know why that is! This is experimentation, and tinkering, and hacking, and potentially liberation, but in the electronics sphere. There is a ton of potential that should not be ignored.

Much as an interest in sci-fi may lead to certain kinds of mindsets, experimentation and curiosity, an interest in amateur radio is frequently correlated with an interest in other people, other cultures, science, engineering, electronics, software and other skills that can be immensely valuable to our efforts.

There are certainly lots more folks on the list who have licenses, and there are lots of amateur operators who aid liberation technologies without advertising it.

CyberSpark.net
-Keeping the flame of free speech
      and human rights alive online

--