[drone-list] Robot warriors: Lethal machines coming of age

Al Mac Wow macwheel99 at wowway.com
Mon Mar 4 09:46:34 PST 2013

This article demonstrates a problem in how information gets communicated.

1.    Something happens, technology development, a disaster, a crisis.

2.    Millions of people react.

3.    News media writes about a slice of this.

4.    Thousands of people react to the news media, with parallel thoughts

5.    Hundreds of people may decide to try to DO something constructive

6.    They are operating in isolation from each other, the overhead of
having an organization, figuring out how to manage it, draining a lot of
resources.

IRAC = International Committee for Robot Arms Control

http://icrac.net/2012/11/dod-directive-on-autonomy-in-weapon-systems/

http://icrac.net/2011/12/new-scientist-campaign-asks-for-international-treat
y-to-limit-war-robots/

http://www.popsci.com/military-aviation-amp-space/article/2009-09/no-nuke-or
-space-military-bots-pleads-arms-control-committee

http://blog.tmcnet.com/robotics/2009/09/new-group-aims-to-curb-military-use-
of-robots.html

They have had international conferences in different nations, proposed
conventions, worked on them, promoted them.

Yet, years after they started to make progress, someone who works in the
same area of expertise (international arms control) is proposing we do, what
they have been trying for years.  She is not alone.

There is also:

HRW = Human Rights Watch, an NGO

They have an effort to have autonomous weapons, without a human in the loop,
banned.  They have published a lot about this, and got a lot of reaction:

(a)   There are people in denial this is a problem.

(b)  There's a lot of debate in some academic and legal circles, regarding
their premises, approaches, practicality.

(c)   I don't like some things which are being said about
humans-in-the-loop.

(d)  Laws, and treaties, against things don't stop the things.  There has to
be competent regulation enforcement with all relevant leaders on board.

American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Robots

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/smartnews/2013/02/mistreated-robot-now-have-
a-advocacy-group/

I found out about it thanks to drone-list.

I have memory of other groups, but can't find the citations in the rapid
search I checked this morning.

The current UN investigation, into war crimes by drones with
humans-in-the-loop, may have some results which are relevant.

In addition to the Patriot anti-missile system mentioned in the article,
there are variants such as the Israeli Iron Dome, and the US Navy AEGIS
system, which connects various types of ship weapons to radar, other
detection systems, evaluates threats, shoots them down, without a human in
the loop.  I believe the Vincennes shot down an Iranian airliner, using the
AEGIS system.

I have much more in my DRONE ROBOT notes.

Al Mac (WOW) = Alister William Macintyre

  _____

--
Too many emails? Unsubscribe, change to digest, or change password by emailing moderator at companys at stanford.edu or changing your settings at https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/drone-list

----- End forwarded message -----