[HacDC:Byzantium] USAID Tech Challenge

Andrew Donovan-Shead awd-s at cloistral.net
Tue Jan 22 18:39:12 PST 2013

Packet Radio via HAM radio should work. To my mind it would be another
gateway in and out of the Byzantium mesh. It would be a wonderful range
extender. At a quick glance, it shouldn't require more than connecting
the computer wired Ethernet or USB link or whatever to the Packet Radio
bridge. Byzantium should see it as an open connection to the Internet
and connect the mesh automatically.

Any number of narrow-area Byzantium meshes could be interconnected over
a wide area by Packet Radio. Bandwidth should increase proportional to
the number of HAMs providing Packet Radio connections, limited by the
number of RF channels available.

I could look into your idea and put together a system block diagram
illustrating the concept, if you're interested.

----- End forwarded message -----