GPS attack vector

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Thu Jan 17 05:57:20 PST 2013

On 01/16/2013 08:06 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> Do you use GPS to provide any mission critical services (like time of day)
> in your network?
>
> Have you already see this? (I hadn't)
>
>    http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/12/how-to-bring-down-mission-critical-gps-networks-with-2500/

Hi, Jay,

Yes, saw this about a month ago.  We have a UNAVCO Plate Boundary
Observatory station (779) on our site, and it uses a Trimble NetRS.  We
also use GPS timing locally to generate NTP stratum 1 for our LAN via
Agilient/HP Z3816 disciplined receivers, and individual GPS receivers for
both of our 26 meter radio telescopes for precision local standard of rest
calculations.

But as a frequency standard for 10MHz, we only use the output of the
frequency locked loops in the Z3816s as references for our Efratom
rubidium standard; even cesium clocks have more drift than rubidium ones,
and the rubidium is manually locked, and is the master reference for
anything that needs a frequency reference; the Z3816's can have
significant jitter (well, significant is relative.....).  Last I checked,
the rubidium was 8.5uHz (yes, microHertz) off according to the GPS
disciplined 10MHz signal from one of the Z3816s (we use an HP differential
counter with a very long gate time to get that measurement precision).

It was interesting timing for the release of this paper, as it was around
the time tick and tock were rebooted and went all 'Doc Brown' on us.

Anyone interested in the vagaries of serious time precision, please
reference the 'Time-Nuts' mailing list, and other content, hosted by
febo.com.

----- End forwarded message -----