[liberationtech] Tragic News: Aaron Swartz commits suicide

Julian Oliver julian at julianoliver.com
Sun Jan 13 05:22:46 PST 2013

..on Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 10:18:23PM +0000, Gabe Gossett wrote:
> While I sympathize with the open access spirit of this thread, and have no
> intention to detract from the eulogizing of Aaron Swartz, I think that in all
> fairness a few things should be pointed out.
>
> JSTOR is not a journal publisher. This is an important distinction since it
> means that JSTOR's terms are, at least in part, influenced by the journal
> publishers. It also means that it will not always be clear whether or not an
> article you publish will end up in JSTOR unless you make sure that you are
> publishing in a fully open access (OA) journal (which is the route I would
> recommend for anyone concerned with information equity). A directory of OA
> journals can be found here http://www.doaj.org
>
> Also, as a librarian, I have found JSTOR to be one of the least problematic of
> the academic content providers. This is probably due to the fact that they are
> non-profit, distribute little in the way of current content (where the profit
> margins are higher), allow for perpetual access to back runs that are bought,
> and was established as a way to expand access to journal content in academia.
> If there was an effective business model to allow for total open access I
> would not be surprised if JSTOR would be one of the content aggregators most
> open to such a model.
>
> The real bad guys in the academic publishing world are for-profits like
> Elsevier, which was the target of a recent boycott:
> http://thecostofknowledge.com

For sure there are worse. A librarian cited to be Wiley, Taylor and Francis as
being awful to deal with. Open Access is a great initiative (especially for the
taxpayer that invested in the research!).  Let's hope it's not taken down with
the Research Works Act.

In my experience however, as someone working entirely independently of a
university, I find myself up against a JSTOR paywall far more often than any
other.  Quite often research into the authors produces a publicly funded
university behind the paper. Perhaps this was why Aaron chose JSTOR over others
- they are so often what comes between the public and their own desire for
learning.

Here's an article in The Atlantic written by a woman in response to her
experience with JSTOR. While researching autism - her son has it - she is met by
a paywall:

    'Locked in the Ivory Tower: Why JSTOR Imprisons Academic Research'

    http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/01/locked-in-the-ivory-tower-why-jstor-imprisons-academic-research/251649/

My experience is akin to a commenter at the base of that article:

"If the public isn't interested, who are the people trying to read those 150
million JSTOR articles a year? I can tell you who they are. People like me and
the person who wrote the article. I graduated from an Ivy League university and
don't work in academia. I read widely and often want to follow up on some
subject I am reading about. I write and want to research a subject I am writing
about. I have relatives who have problems or interests and try to help them. You
gravely underestimate the ability of a non-academic, with a real reason for
researching a subject or interest in it, to acquire expertise. Do you think
academics write Wikipedia?"

Cheers,

Julian