[liberationtech] Google Bows Down To Chinese Government On Censorship

Martin Johnson greatfire at greatfire.org
Thu Jan 10 04:22:30 PST 2013

I am in China.

Google is said to have a 5% market share in China. There are at least 500
million Internet users so that makes for about 25 million users. The number
of users using VPNs or circumvention tools is unknown but likely much
smaller. For example, Twitter is estimated to have less than 20,000 active
users in China (
https://en.greatfire.org/blog/2013/jan/there-are-not-millions-twitter-users-china-heres-proof
).

Commercial VPNs require credit cards to sign up and are used by very few.
Free circumvention tools like FreeGate reach many more but are also
continuously targeted by authorities making them slow and unstable. Users
who can circumvent the GFW do not always do it. Connecting is slow and, for
running a general Google search, unnecessary.

All this means that Google's user experience without a VPN matters a lot.
Because of the decision they took in December, that user experience got
worse.

The users Wired talked to were not representative of Chinese netizens. As
for the Techcrunch statements, "sources suggest" doesn't make it true. But
it is true that "since the notification feature was implemented, access to
Googlebs search engine in China has been blocked more often than usual".
That is, it was blocked once (on November 9) as opposed to "usual" which is
that it isn't blocked. This blocking being part of Google's decision to
disable the feature was exactly the argument that we were making. The
authorities blocked Google and likely used this and the threat
to permanently block it to pressure Google into doing their bidding.

Martin Johnson
Founder
https://GreatFire.org - Monitoring Online Censorship In China.
https://FreeWeibo.com - Uncensored, Anonymous Sina Weibo Search.