[liberationtech] Google Bows Down To Chinese Government On Censorship

Maxim Kammerer mk at dee.su
Wed Jan 9 12:50:37 PST 2013

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 8:50 AM, Martin Johnson <greatfire at greatfire.org> wrote:
> This latest move was fully controlled by Google and can as such only be described as self-censorship.

The impression I am getting from my contacts at Google is that this is
not true. That is, Google apparently lost to Chinese Cyber experts in
being able to keep this censored keywords system up, and decided to
drop it altogether. PR team then, for whatever other reasons, decided
to keep complete silence on the subject.

Of course, one can then ask why didn't Google simply force HTTPS on
Chinese users to begin with, but they probably considered complete
block of Google by GFC too real a possibility, and were too afraid to
lose market share.

--
Maxim Kammerer
Liberti Linux: http://dee.su/liberte