[liberationtech] 29C3 whistleblower panel: Radack, Drake, Binney

Gregory Foster gfoster at entersection.org
Tue Jan 1 23:27:05 PST 2013

In Jacob's keynote (~29:50), he encourages participants to attend the
whistleblower panel later in the day.

29th Chaos Communication Congress (Berlin: Dec 27-30, 2012) - "Enemies of
the State: What happens when telling the truth about secret US government
power becomes a crime" by Jesselyn Radack, Thomas Drake, and William
Binney:
http://youtu.be/nc5i8aROQkk?t=34m36s
http://events.ccc.de/congress/2012/Fahrplan/events/5338.en.html

Radack, Drake, and Binney take thirty minutes each to present their
respective stories - powerful stuff.  Kevin Gosztola's write up gives a
sense:
http://dissenter.firedoglake.com/2012/12/29/us-whistleblowers-on-being-targeted-by-the-secret-security-state/
http://twitter.com/kgosztola

Within the first minute of his talk (~1:28:36), William Binney describes
the legal and intellectual property guidance he received when retiring
from the NSA to set the scene for an announcement that he has created a
"commercial product" which describes a software architecture akin to
ThinThread:

> so I have that technology, it's on file, basically, with the Library of
> Congress, we have a copyright on it, so it's open to anybody for $45 you
> can get a copy, or you can go to the people here at the conference, they
> have, I gave them copies, you can get copies from them.  So it lays out
> an architectural framework the entire process for how to automate an
> analysis business process across the entire process, whatever you're
> looking at, whatever kind of data you're doing because this applies to
> everything: stock market exchange, money exchange, you know, travel,
> phone calls, emails, Twitter, cloud, Facebook, whatever!  So the point
> is, that this is the kind of, this whole process will give you an idea
> of what's really going on and the scale of what's happening.

The Library of Congress defied my search queries.  I didn't find mention
on the CCC website, wiki, Twitter feeds, etc.  Is this document(?) in
digital form yet?  Seems like it might be rather interesting.

gf

Gregory Foster || gfoster at entersection.org
@gregoryfoster <> http://entersection.com/

----- End forwarded message -----