[liberationtech] Mexico's most vulnerable reporters lack digital security skills

Nadim Kobeissi nadim at nadim.cc
Tue Feb 26 20:47:51 PST 2013

That's incredible. I honestly did not know any of this. Drug lords in the
Middle East aren't half as terrifying.

With this kind of terrifying landscape, what accessible technology could
possibly secure the communications of Mexican journalists against not only
interception, but against their own future torture and other such
ancillary, surrounding threats that may be borne from using encryption?
This situation is so awful that we security people should add it to our
repertoire of absolutes ("will this survive NSA intervention?" "will this
survive Mexican drug cartel intervention?")

They really add to the threat landscape by being not only more unbridled
and omnipotent than a bad regime, but not even subject to the smallest
shred of responsibility in terms of governance and stability. Even the
worst governments still are.

 I don't know what on earth Mexican journalists are supposed to do when
confronted with such an absurd threat landscape.

NK

Too many emails? Unsubscribe, change to digest, or change password by emailing moderator at companys at stanford.edu or changing your settings at https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/liberationtech

----- End forwarded message -----