[liberationtech] Fwd: [greg at pryzby.org: Ubuntu, Dash, Shuttleworth and privacy]

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Fri Feb 22 02:29:40 PST 2013

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 04:53:48AM +0000, Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
> Sounds like someone should upload a package that fixes all of the
> privacy problems, eh?

I've thought about this for a couple of days and about 20 miles, and
although my initial reaction was "yes, they should", I'm now going to
reverse myself and say "well...maybe not".  Here's why.

I think the problem here is not susceptible to patching, because the
root cause isn't software: it's mindset.  The people who think that this
is actually a good idea -- and persist in thinking so despite cogent
(and in my opinion, highly persuasive) arguments to the contrary -- are
unlikely to shift course.  The course they've embarked on inevitably leads
to more of the same -- oh, with different technical details and levels of
impact, of course, but still: more of the same.  I am reminded of one
of my favorite quotes:

	"I could warn you of course, but you would not listen.  I could
	kill you, but someone would take your place.  So I do the only
	thing I can.  I go."

I don't think the situation is salvageable; I think the effort that could
be put into trying to do so is better spent elsewhere.

I think it's time to go.

---rsk

----- End forwarded message -----