[drone-list] Drone Journalism via U of Missouri

Al Mac Wow macwheel99 at wowway.com
Tue Feb 19 21:55:15 PST 2013

Professor Bill Allen, a former St. Louis Post-Dispatch reporter, is teaching
a three-hour course titled "Science Investigative Reporting: Drone
Journalism."

The class is using drones made by the school's engineering department.

http://gatewayjr.org/2013/02/05/lawmaker-concerned-about-using-drones-to-col
lect-news/

To fly a drone in US National Air Space (NAS), requires FAA licensing, which
includes certification that the drone is safe, and that it is flown by
someone who has a pilot's license.  I do not see U of Missouri on list of
authorized drone licensees which EFF found out from FAA via FOIA.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/04/faa-releases-its-list-drone-certificat
es-leaves-many-questions-unanswered

They keep adding to the list, so maybe UM is on a list I have not yet seen.
If flying exclusively indoors, drones do not need FAA licensing.

I am sure that as soon as someone is caught flying a drone inside Congress,
White House, a Legislature, Court Building, or other official site, this
loophole will be altered.

Al Mac (WOW) = Alister William Macintyre

Should you need to change your subscription options, please go to:

If you would like to receive a daily digest, click "yes" (once you click above) next to "would you like to receive list mail batched in a daily digest?"

You will need the user name and password you receive from the list moderator in monthly reminders.

Should you need immediate assistance, please contact the list moderator.

----- End forwarded message -----