[DIYbio] Removing watermarks from pdfs (pdfparanoia)

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 00:30:18 PST 2013

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Cathal Garvey wrote:
> One reason I suggested exploding/recompressing is that by doing so, you
> will naturally destroy lots of metadata that you might not have realised
> was there, otherwise.

One of the advantages of using pdfparanoia is that you can directly
remove watermarks based on what we know about what publishers are
doing, instead of blindly guessing. If there is metadata about ip
addresses, write a plugin for pdfparanoia to detect it and remove it.
(Also write a unit test, so that future contributors can make sure
your code doesn't break). So far, I haven't seen evidence of metadata
being used like this. Really, they are all extremely pdf servers like
itext that are serving up http requests for unsuspecting scholars. My
guess is that the most "advanced" watermarking infrastructure is just
some LaTeX template that is being applied for each incoming http
request.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diybio at googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+unsubscribe at googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en
Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio?hl=en.

----- End forwarded message -----