[liberationtech] Chromebooks for Risky Situations?

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Wed Feb 6 14:16:24 PST 2013

Brian Conley:
> Micah,
>
> Perhaps you can tell us the secret to convince all family members and
> colleagues to become Linux hackers able to be completely self-sufficient
> managing their own upgrades and modifications indefinitely?

Stop supporting the use of non-free software? We're all part of the
problem when we help people to be less free and to use proprietary
software or proprietary services. This is both an education and a
problem with enabling. We all suffer from it, I think.

When we encourage people to say, buy a Macbook or a Chromebook because
we're happy to support it over say, Windows, we're making things worse.
Largely because the choice is actually between Free Software and
proprietary software or free software on devices where we're not
actually able to exercise all of our freedoms.

Thus, when we aren't helping people to get off of the non-free platforms
or to reduce our dependency on non-free software, we're basically not
doing a great job at educating people that we care about and otherwise
wish to support. When we pass the buck, we're enabling them with
harmful, sometimes seriously so, solutions.

> Otherwise what is your point?

This essay seems like a longer version of what Micah has expressed:

I also suggest reading these two essays by RMS:

  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/shouldbefree.html

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/when_free_software_isnt_practically_better.html

He is also talking about how the threats to a user might include Google
itself (eg: my legal cases!) or perhaps even the network you're using
(hint: ChromeOS has no way to protect you against such an attacker, so
no, it isn't safe to use everywhere or perhaps anywhere depending on
your trust of the local network).

> It seems like you are being needlessly confrontational or outright ignoring
> the quite reasonable counter arguments to various linux OSes,Ubuntu/gentoo/
> etc etc being made here.

Most of arguments I've heard here boil down to privileged wealthy people
complaining that learning and mutual aid or solidarity is simply too
hard. The worst is when people who train people in risky situations make
those kinds of statements.

It's frankly, really and seriously embarrassing.

All the best,
Jake

----- End forwarded message -----