[liberationtech] Chromebooks for Risky Situations?

T N trrevv at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 12:34:07 PST 2013

The word "Linux" doesn't refer to anything, other than maybe the kernel.

Chrome OS is linux.  But it's a massively stripped down "distribution" that
has a radical design, including the fact that it will ONLY run if all of
the cryptographic checks are verified from the root of trust.  That root of
trust is Google's massively large PKI public key that is burned into the
firmware.

For a journalist in the field, that's a great reassurance.  Take your
Chromebook to China.  The Chinese government can not alter what you are
running without either (a) modifying your hardware, which means they take
possession of it for a period of time and manage to do something that is
tricky to do (i.e. circumstances under which you'd no longer trust your
computer anyways) or (b) you will know they tried to hack it and your
Chromebook will refuse to boot, and will instead wipe away the hacks and
update itself and won't boot unless the update is a legitimate one signed
by Google.

Yes, you can't compare Chrome OS's attack surface to a typical linux
distribution, or even a highly customized linux install which doesn't have
the hardware root of trust.

----- End forwarded message -----