[cryptopolitics] Stellar Wind

Tony Arcieri tony.arcieri at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 14:17:28 PDT 2013

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_Wind_(code_name)

Stellar Wind is the name of an NSA program to wiretap the Internet. The
Internet is being wiretapped at facilities around the country, including a
building I walk by every day: 611 Folsom Street where the infamous Room
641A is located: a room where they have installed beam splitters on fiber
optic cables servicing massive amounts of commodity Internet traffic.

>From there they are sending the captured traffic to a facility in Utah,
which has been designed to store data on a "yottabyte" scale:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_Data_Center

They plan to store the captured traffic for up to 100 years, perhaps in
hopes that a successful cryptanalysis of the ciphers used to encrypt the
data they've stored will allow them to decrypt it in the future.

I don't know about you, but this seems bad to me. President Obama has
issued an executive order that allows the NSA to spy not just on foreign
nationals, but US citizens as well. In effect: the NSA has their eye on the
entire world.

--
Tony Arcieri

----- End forwarded message -----