[drone-list] Festo

Gregory Foster gfoster at entersection.org
Wed Apr 17 20:33:41 PDT 2013

It seems the TechJect entrepreneurs out of Georgia Tech aren't the only
ones exploring the flight dynamics of dragonflies.

SingularityHUB (Apr 17) - "Festo's Robot Dragonfly an Awesome Mix of
Prehistoric and Futuristic":
http://singularityhub.com/2013/04/17/festos-robot-dragonfly-an-awesome-mix-of-prehistoric-and-futuristic/

The name "Festo" caught my eye as I am currently reading William Gibson's
_Zero History_ (2010) which mentions a "Festo AirPenguin" drone.  In the
text, the fictional cutting edge marketing agency Blue Ant experiments with
usage of the drone as an "urban surveillance platform."  On encountering
the chrome penguin swimming through the air, one surprised character comes
to believe they are hallucinating.

Little did I know Gibson was referencing a real thing.

The Gibsonian Institute (Sep 28, 2010) - "Festo AirPenguin in action":
http://gibsonian.tumblr.com/post/1204694444/festo-airpenguin-in-action-from-zero-history

Festo, " a leading world-wide supplier of automation technology":
http://www.festo.com/cms/en_corp/index.htm
https://twitter.com/FestoAG
http://www.youtube.com/user/FestoHQ

HT @CustosDivini: