Science Defense Force

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 14:45:43 PDT 2013

Hey all:

We are starting to document IP addresses associated with anti-science
activity, especially evil IP addresses that are scanning the web for
science articles, watermarks, anti-regime content, etc. There are
other IP block lists out there, but none of them seem to have a
mission of anti-anti-infringement and most of them look dead.

For now, this information is compiled here:
http://diyhpl.us/wiki/users/superkuh/sdf

However, maybe we will make up some automatic update mechanism for
nginx, or something that can detect HTTP referers/user agents/ip
addresses with nightly updates. For instance, certain referers are
obviously worrisome (like web dashboard products for publishers, which
have distinct urls) and their users should be blocked immediately.

I welcome any contributions you can offer... including organization
names, system design criticism, IP ranges, or contributions to
pdfparanoia ( https://github.com/kanzure/pdfparanoia) for watermark
removal.

SDF is a play on Superdimensional Fortress.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507

----- End forwarded message -----