[cryptography] ICIJ's project - comment on cryptography & tools

ianG iang at iang.org
Thu Apr 4 21:08:47 PDT 2013

On 5/04/13 05:36 AM, James A. Donald wrote:
> On 2013-04-05 10:47 AM, James A. Donald wrote:
>>
>> How does it work?  Is it really secure, and if it is, how did they
>> manage a "not one click for security" user interface?
>
> Already answered by others on this list.  Not secure, apple can MIM it.

Seems like.

However, the barrier for that seems somewhat higher than an intercept or
pen register.  (Entering into full speculation mode here) I suspect that
one would need a direct court order akin to a full search & seizure in
order to give the feds access to the messages;  it seems to involve
handing over the entire device key to clone the full personality.

The original CNN article doesn't pass muster, a far more skeptical and
analytical one is here:

http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/none/310015-the-real-reason-the-feds-can-t-read-your-imessages

iang

----- End forwarded message -----