Fwd: [cryptography] Preemptive compromise of Apple ID accounts

b. brewer bbrewer at littledystopia.net
Sun Sep 23 14:23:57 PDT 2012

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [cryptography] Preemptive compromise of Apple ID accounts
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 20:26:42 +1200
From: Peter Gutmann <pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz>
To: cryptography at randombit.net

I just got email from Apple asking me to confirm setting up a rescue email
address for my Apple ID account (I haven't owned any Apple products
since the
IIe).  It's the real thing from Apple, not a phishing email. So it looks
like
attackers have gone beyond social engineering access to Apple accounts
and are
pre-emptively creating mechanisms for access on the off chance that the
target
may at some point become an Apple account user who can then be exploited.
That's pretty sophisticated forward planning.

Peter.