[serval-project-dev] Reports of WiFi Monitor Mode on Nexus One and Samsung Galaxy SII

Paul Gardner-Stephen paul at servalproject.org
Thu Sep 20 07:45:11 PDT 2012

Most interesting ...

Meanwhile, here in Amsterdam I have been meeting with various groups
and talking with people, and I think we are now MUCH closer to being
able to make a mesh device that will do the ad-hoc WiFi *and* support
external radio modules, e.g., in other ISM bands in the countries
where they are allowed, to facilitate links of 100m - 1500m between
the mesh helper devices.

As the device would do ad-hoc and the other communications, and be a
1st class member of the mesh, it will be able to carry traffic for
nearby mobile phones, which would just be WiFi clients of it. This
means we can finally get rid of root, and also really easily port to
other platforms, including perhaps by having an HTML client that is
served from a web server on the device itself.

I am thinking of using the Dragrove as the basis, as it is an
OpenWRT-based router that already has an Arduino-compatible interface
inside, and all the software tools to talk to the Arduino-compatible
interface written and included.  This means all we really need to do
is make the working ISM radio interface for it.

Paul.

----- End forwarded message -----