[tor-talk] hidden services and stream isolation (file transfer over Tor HS speedup?)

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 23:11:43 PDT 2012

> I think you aren't considering how much cpu load is added by
> opening a new circuit ...
> This latency you will experience is exactly the sort of thing
> that will get worse if people start overloading the network with
> extra circuits.

As with the current count of onions, it's not intentional harm,
just people wanting to do things. Bitcoin is bringing a big growth
in onion sites (litle impact itself). But the new bitcoin version
can interop with clearnet and onions natively. If I remember from
my last test, bitcoin rotates its traffic through a sizable address
pool. Multiply that by the userbase and it could be similar to
torrenting.

There might be utility in allowing different circuit expiry parameter
settings for different socksports... perhaps keeping a large state
table for some would reduce load.

Related at a distance is that I think the Phantom project mentioned
they will not hesitate to use disk to support the network protocol.

> While I'm at it, there *are* several steps that would lead to
> significantly improving hidden service performance:
> plus the various performance and security fixes in the 'Tor hidden
> service' category.

I want to get around to make some nice HS metrics along that ticket,
but I don't want to give early hopes.

> I know it can be tempting to treat the Tor design and code as a
> black box and try to hack around it, but I think in this case the
> clear right thing to do is to make the code not suck so much.

Yes this is nicer.

----- End forwarded message -----