[liberationtech] FinFisher is now controlled by UK export controls

Danny O'Brien DObrien at cpj.org
Mon Sep 10 14:39:44 PDT 2012

Just to add to this:

It's surprising just how much of the old cryptowar  language is still hanging
around ready to trip someone up. The US government is still unwilling to grant
blanket exemptions for classes of crypto-using products, so the only way you
can know whether you're violating the broad language of the law is to ask very
specifically for an export license.  And if you ask, they may say no. This was
the issue with much of the United States "Axis of Evil" (Sudan/Syria/Iran/N.
Korea) sanctions too  -- Mozilla had to tread very carefully in order to get a
permitted exception before the recent sanctions rewrite. That rewrite contains
no pre-emptive exemptions (you still have to apply)  and other companies still
play far too safe WRT offering downloads to these countries rather than risk
asking permission and being turned down.

As Eric says, the UK is part of Wassenaar, which means public domain and
personal use crypto is okay to export, but various "strongish" crypto requires
a license, at least in theory:
http://rechten.uvt.nl/koops/cryptolaw/cls2.htm#Wassenaar

To broaden Wassenaar to include surveillance tech by extending it with regard
to specific categories of use is one approach to attempt to dissuade local
companies from selling mass surveillance tools to repressive regimes. I know
that PI has been thinking and working on this for a very long time, and is not
unaware of the problems of creating well-meaning restrictions that can be
applied overbroadly. Another legislative approach is to prohibit the
distribution of certain tools with certain capabilities to certain target
groups (prohibit sales to law enforcement (or all but certain types of law
enforcement), government actors, blacklist countries).

I think the real challenge with either strategy is not re-animating the crypto
wars, but preventing a well-meaning effort to control the spread of tools of
mass surveillance becoming an excuse to, in some countries, investigate or
criminalize infosec tool creators and distributors, and in others to create
parallel, extrapolated laws that go after  local dissidents who undermine the
local public health and morals of the Net through their use or possession of
dangerous Internet  tools -- ie using the language controlling surveillance
tools  to also  cover circumvention or secure communication tools. You could
already go after distributors of such well-regarded tools for domestic crypto
violations in a disturbingly large set of countries, though I've not seen
anyone do that (partly I think because the commercial sector's use of crypto
is similarly unenforced in most countries, but mostly because the prosecutors
who go after dissident reporters and technologists aren't particularly au fait
with their own crypto law).

We all need to tread very carefully here. Legislators can be taught to see the
problem as being rogue states conducting mass surveillance, but closer to home
they will tend to see it as individual criminals using spyware. It makes sense
if you are thinking about limiting the behaviour of foreign governments to
concentrate limiting the local incentives to manufacture and export those
tools; you can't, after all, effectively outlaw the practice of those foreign
governments. But viewing this simplistically as controlling the tool over
controlling the action is a problematic practice if we accept  code is speech.
The connection with the crypto-wars is the belief that we should aim to
criminalize bad behavior, not struggle futilely to outlaw the ownership and
distribution of particular programs that can be used in pursuit of that
behavior.

d.